Our History

Our History

St. Ann's Home and School was established as an orphanage in 1925 by the Pastor of the former St. Ann's Parish in Lawrence. Father Bertrand, himself an orphan, was moved to establish St. Ann's to serve the many orphans in the Greater Lawrence area. At the time lack of preventive medicine for contagious diseases and maternal death from child birth were major public health issues resulting in an orphaned population.

122-pic3.gifOver the years the mission of St. Ann's has changed with the child welfare needs of the time. In 1966, St. Ann’s Home and School was reorganized as a residential treatment center for emotionally disturbed children. In subsequent years, St. Ann’s has expanded its services to include a number of other programs. In 1972, St. Ann’s established its community-based group home program for adolescents. In 1973, St. Ann’s began its day school and education program for children who do not need a residential placement. Beginning in 1982, St. Ann’s family outreach program began offering a range of services to the families of children who are at high risk for out-of-home placement and to the families of children who are returning home from such placements.

Today, St. Ann’s Home and School provides a continuum of care approach for troubled children and their families.